|Case Study: Product Strategy, Public Relations Strategy, and Implementation Services
for @Backup, Inc. (now SkyDesk)
@Backup is the leader in the on-line PC backup services market. Founded in 1995, @Backup offers an Internet backup service ideal for small business PC users and mobile professionals. @Backup provides fully automated "over-the-wire" off-site storage, protecting a user from data loss due to hardware damage, software problem, loss, theft, disaster or human error.
1-for-All Marketing was initially retained by @Backup to provide interim product management services, which included:
- Creation of the product requirements document for their next release.
- Creation of the product plan of record, an 18 month schedule of major releases.
- Competitive analysis, including hands-on evaluation of major competition as well as paper and electronic research, creation of competitive matrixes.
- Customer interviews for input and feedback on feature set plans and user interface enhancements.
- Selection and interviewing of candidates to help fill the permanent product manager position.
1-for-All subsequently received several public relations and implementation services assignments, including:
- Acted as inside PR manager, which included activities such as outside agency selection and coordination, creation of editor's web site and related press collateral (reviewer's guide, product data sheet, company backgrounder, subscriber success stories, and other materials), press liaison, and press tour planning and preparation activities.
- Conducted a research project to gather statistics from web and print sources across the globe on disaster strikes, data loss reasons, associated data loss costs and backup & recovery; created pages for the company's web site to present the research.
- Designed and implemented a first of a kind automated e-mail survey on PC data backup and recovery habits of subscribers and non-subscribers (200,000 recipients).
- Event management activities; for one Comdex, was able to obtain for @Backup a spot in Microsoft's main booth as one of twelve premier Independent Software Vendor (ISV) business partners.